Handy Tips to Defend Against Dental Decay
Paying attention is necessary in the act of keeping dental caries, periodontal disease, and other problems at bay, which is why our team at Chestnut Hill Dental believes in teaching prevention. When these significant issues impact your dental health, they’re often harder to take care of, expensive, and take a great deal of time. Great oral hygiene is the most important component when it comes to ensuring that your mouth remains in good condition. Our Chestnut Hill, MA team is thrilled to provide you with several great tips to help make sure your teeth are healthy, reliable, and beautiful for many years.
- Chew sugarless gum. Countless people aren't aware that sugar-free gum could help ward off tooth decay. Gum-chewing promotes additional saliva production in the mouth, which is important because saliva is the agent in charge of both offsetting and eliminating the acid from things we eat that could eventually erode your teeth’s outer layer, leading to cavities.
- Instruct your kids. Kids often copy their parents. Typically, parents are the ones to teach kids how to brush their teeth, which is why it’s crucial to lead by example. Booking semi-annual cleanings is also another approach to teach them the value of keeping up with proper dental habits.
- Consume tooth-healthy foods and liquids. The germs that lead to dental caries produce acid using the sugar in food and liquids. Sucrose foods create an ideal environment for tooth decay to develop. It's necessary to know the things you are eating and drinking. Once you eat or drink food or a beverage that contains a lot of sugar, it's suggested to brush your teeth immediately.
- Schedule appointments with your dentist regularly. Twice-yearly oral cleanings and exams are vital for not just brushing your teeth thoroughly but also examining the state of your teeth and gum tissues. Your dental wellness depends on being cognizant of what’s happening in your mouth. During your visit, your enamel will be cleaned and polished. Following this, your dentist will perform a thorough evaluation of your mouth to look for budding problems. The sooner the oral complications are found, the faster treatment can begin.
- Have fluoride treatments for prevention. Many dentists recommend routine fluoride treatments for children beginning at six years old until they’re an adult. However, if an older patient is prone to getting decay, a professional fluoride treatment might be incredibly beneficial to their dental health. Our general dentists in Chestnut Hill, MA provide fluoride treatments and may suggest a prescription fluoride toothpaste, tablets, and mouthwash to use in between exams.
- Use mouthwash regularly. Mouthwash is essential as an added protection against cavities. Once you have brushed your teeth, you may use mouthwash to further reduce dangerous bacteria and plaque.
- Ask about dental sealants. Dental sealants are a wonderful choice when it comes to preventing decay. Sealants are a supple material put on the tops of the back teeth, also known as the molars and premolars. Dental sealants may help to reduce the patient's susceptibility to decay in this area because the dips on your molars can trap bacteria and cause them to be more prone to cavities.
- Flossing your teeth is essential. Brushing by itself isn’t efficient in making sure cavities are kept away. Flossing is an important step that many people forgo. Flossing is able to target corners that toothbrushes can’t and also helps to remove food lodged between the teeth. This easy habit is efficient at helping to diminish the chances for tooth decay.
- Pay attention. When you feel the signs of cavities, it’s essential to visit your dentist for an assessment. Usually, the initial sign of decay is long-lasting tooth sensitivity. You could notice a stinging pain when you eat or drink food or beverages that are cold or hot. When tooth decay advances, you might get migraines, toothaches, dental discoloration, and holes.
- Brush every day. Even though this might come across as obvious, brushing your teeth two times per day with dentist-approved toothpaste is an effective method to avoid decay. You could try counting in your head while you scrub your teeth for a minimum of 120 seconds.
Learn the most efficient way to clean your teeth
If it’s time to book twice-yearly dental cleanings and evaluations for your loved ones, then please get in touch with our comprehensive care dentistry facility in Chestnut Hill, MA for your consultation. These essential and preventive appointments can keep cavities and different complications at bay. Plus, you’ll surely love how clean your teeth look after your routine cleanings. Our remarkably qualified dental professionals will help you to be comfortable and discuss the treatment process in depth. We look forward to seeing you at Chestnut Hill Dental.